February 08, 2014

Smoothie Saturday: Mango Spinach

Mango Smoothies are my favorite, but I made this one a little differently this time.

Ingredients:
Organic frozen mango (a little over 2 cups)
Organic coconut oil (about 1/2 tbsp)
Organic spinach (a small handful)
Organic coconut water (amount depends on the consistency you want)
Raw local honey-not pictured (about 1/2 tbsp)
Frozen ginger grated, to taste
Ground cinnamon, to taste

Like I said before, I use a stick blender, so I layer my ingredients in the mixing cup.
 As I mentioned above, I made this a little differently this time. I didn't use yogurt, which I usually use (I was out). This time I used coconut oil instead. Coconut oil is supposed to help with digestive health, and since I was still dealing with some gurgles from my stomach bug when I made this, I thought it would be a good addition.  Actually, both coconut oil and raw honey are supposed to be anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial.  I always put ginger in my coconut smoothie, but I thought that could help with my tummy troubles too. The spinach was for the folic acid.

My only complaint with this smoothie was that it was a little salty. I'm pretty sure that was because of the coconut water, which I've just recently started using in my smoothies. In the future I won't use so much. This recipe made two smoothies, and I shared with my sister. She didn't think it was salty at all, so it might have just been me.

 Other than while I was sick, I think I've been doing a pretty good job eating healthy breakfasts lately. This week I rotated between smoothies, Greek yogurt, oatmeal, and scrambled eggs.

What does your healthy breakfast consist of? Any good ideas for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...