May 12, 2012

Things I've Tried from Pinterest: "Mind Blowing Cake Decorating Tip"

I have used this amazing Pinterest find often. It's a great video explaining a tip for using cake decorating icing bags. The original pin leads you back to this site, but the original video comes from karenscookies.net.

What I used:

  • Wilton decorator bags
  • Wilton decorating tips
  • Homemade butter cream
  • Generic plastic wrap
What I like about it:
  • No need to deal with cleaning out those stupid decorating bags. They are a pain in the neck to was by hand, and in the dishwasher they always move around and often have residue left behind on the inside.
  • It's easy.
  • It's always difficult and messy to add more icing to a decorator bag. This eliminates that problem.
  • It's really easy to switch tips in the middle of decorating. I really like that.
  • I can just throw the mess away.
Concerns:
  • You can only put a small amount of frosting in the bag using this method which means you end up having to do this several times. Inevitably, I run out of icing half way through a cupcake.
  • When I do run out of icing, and know I don't have enough to finish a whole cupcake, I have to squeeze out the excess back into the bowl. Because it's in the plastic wrap, a lot of the icing gets wasted in the process. This annoys me.
  • Sometimes this whole process doesn't work as well as it's supposed to. I've spent a lot of time trying to get the little plastic wrap tail through the tip or having the plastic wrap burst open or not fit as far down into the bag as I want it to and getting the bag dirty anyway.
Overall, I like this tutorial and use it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...