November 28, 2015

Food for Little Tummies: Spinach Cheddar Fingers

When I posted some recipes great for little ones doing Baby Led Weaning a few weeks ago, I forgot to include my favorite go to snack for Cai; Spinach Cheddar Fingers!

I think I mentioned a while back that at his nine month appointment Cai's hemoglobin was a little low. His iron levels were just under normal. I'm happy to say that at his 12 month visit, they were just above normal, so although we still need to watch, he's doing well (And as a braggy side note, both times he had to have a finger stick, he didn't make a peep. My tough little baby!) Anyway, we made sure he was eating lots of iron rich foods like spinach and whole wheat, and this is one of the ways we did it.

I don't use a very precise recipe, and I change it up a little every time I make it, but here are the basics...

Ingredients:

  • Spinach, finely chopped. about 1/2 c.
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4-1/2 c. shredded cheese, I usually use cheddar.
  • Spices, I've added curry and cumin
  • Baking mix, I use Arrowhead Mills Sprouted Grain mix.
  • I've also added breast milk and a bit of raw milk
Basically, you add ingredients until you get the right consistency. I start with the first few ingredients, then add baking mix until it's just thick enough to form little finger shaped pieces without it sticking completely to my fingers.
I evenly space them out on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and bake at 350. They are so easy and yummy enough that I sometimes sneak one myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...